Monday, July 15, 2013

Toffee Apples

So it turns out that toffee apples are surprisingly easy to make! 
They are going to work a treat with my Wizard of Oz theme, and I think they are going to be a good bang for my buck to add impact to my candy bar table. 

Toffee Apples

3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
few drops red food colouring
8 apples
8 wooden skewers

Put sugar, vinegar, butter and water into a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Add cream of tartar and food colouring. Bring to the boil. Do not stir. Let mixture boil until the hard crack stage*. While mixture is boiling, wipe the apples. Push an skewer into each stem end. Remove pan from heat, tilt slightly then dip an apple into the toffee, turning to coat. Place on a sheet of baking paper. Repeat with remaining apples. Leave until cold and set.

* Drop a small amount of syrup into very cold water. This separates into threads that are hard and brittle

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Very pretty and they sound so easy!

Kat said...

I love toffee apples! I used to make them all the time when I was a kid.